The Family is gathered at Jay's (Ed O'Neill) and Gloria's (Sofia Vergara) house in order to celebrate Alex's (Ariel Winter) graduation. Phil (Ty Burrell) is the only one not to attend that, because he suffered from an ear infection while on a business trip on Seattle and had been forced to postpone his flight home. He manages however to be present via a robotic vessel. Claire (Julie Bowen) stresses about giving Alex a perfect graduation gift after Mitchell and Jay unknowingly outperform her. Alex tells her mother that she does not have to offer her a present, since this is thanks to her that she graduated and tells her that the only gift she wants from her mother is for her to join her on her trip to Europe.
Mitch (Jesse Tyler Ferguson) and Cam (Eric Stonestreet) learn that their offer was accepted and that they will have the apartment above theirs in order to transform it into a guest room. However, Mitch shows atypical behavior which Cam fails to understand. After finding Mitch's cellphone, Cam believes that Mitchell has been having an affair with a man named Spencer, forcing Mitchell to confess the truth. He reveals that he lost his job due to budget cuts and this forces him to spend all his days in the park where he met and befriended an old man named Spencer (Lou Beatty Jr), and his cockatoo George. Cameron is revelead that Mitchell was not having an affair and they discuss their future and how to make Mitchell's unemployment work.
Gloria's cousin Armando (Horatio Sanz) stays at Jay's house, much to Jay's dismay. Armando can't speak English language and eats and drinks all Jay's supplies without cleaning. Jay mistakenly believes that Gloria's horse ashes are actually drugs. Gloria is fed-up with Jay's attitude because he treats her family member like criminals. After Gloria gives a toast to Alex, which makes Jay guilty, Jay finally allows Armando to stay at his home. However, Gloria discovers that Armando has been stealing Jays Cigars from their house, so she forces him to leave without telling Jay.
Haley (Sarah Hyland) meets Beth, Andy's (Adam DeVine) girlfriend, for the second time following their brief hospital meet in Closet? You'll Love It!. After friction between the pair, both Andy and Haley seek advice from Phil, who fails to realise that they have feelings for each other. However, as Andy prepares to say goodbye to Haley on his way to propose to Beth, Phil finally understands the situation, and attempts to tell Andy and Haley that they love each other, only for the sound to cut out on his vessel. Attempting to draw attention to himself in order to help Andy and Haley, he drives his vessel down the stairs, only for the iPad to be stolen by Gloria's cousin, who leaves the house with it. Andy leaves to go and propose to Beth, while Haley shuts the door behind him.
- Adam DeVine as Andy Bailey
- Laura Ashey Samuels as Beth
- Lou Beatty Jr as Spencer
- Horatio Sanz as Armando
- Andy's twelfth appearance.
- Beth's second appearance ("Closet? You'll Love It!").
- Mitchell's fear of birds is seen again after Family Portrait, although he gets over it.
- This is the third episode after Truth Be Told and The Big Game in which Mitchell loses his job, though each time it's for a different reason.
- Though Skype was used a lot on the show, this is the first time that Phil used it in order to keep in touch with his relatives.
- Lilly has only one line in this episode, while Armando (Gloria's cousin) has no dialogue.
- The title of the episode is a reference to the film American Sniper.
- The robot Phil uses to communicate with the rest of the family while he is in Seattle is similar to the ones Sheldon Cooper used on The Big BangTheory episode, The Cruciferous Vegetable Amplification and by convicts in the Community episode, Laws of Robotics & Party Rights.