When Haley hears that her loopy boss is looking for a product with the magical properties of peppers, she tries to gain favor by convincing Gloria to sell her salsa to NERP; Mitchell gets Cam the police ride-along he's always dreamed of.
Haly convinces her grandpa Jay and Gloria to help her to sell Gloria's sauce to NERP. At first, the task is hard but she finally manages to make it, except that Nicole develops allergies and rashes after she tasted it.
Meanwhile, Mitch gets Cam the police ride-along he's always dreamed of, except that Mitchell has fun while Cam gets stucked in the backseat's car. Mitch then meets an old friend of him, who offers him a job as a prosecutor.
And Phil and Claire again are in a competition inorder to know who is the sportest of them.
They only manage to injure themselves, and Luke, who at first dit not want to go to Community College gladly changes his mind.
(The characters striked out do not appear in this episode)
- Jay Pritchett
- Gloria Pritchett
Manny Delgado Joe Pritchett
- Claire Dunphy
- Phil Dunphy
- Haley Dunphy
- Luke Dunphy
- Mitchell Pritchett
- Cameron Tucker
- Mira Sorvino as Nicole Rosemary Page
- Chris Bauer as Officer Stablitzky
- Toks Olagundoye as Lucy
- Kerry O'Malley as Dr. Perry
- Margaret Judson as Madison
- Alex, Manny, Lily and Joe do not appear in this episode, though Gloria mentions Manny and Cameron mentions Lily.
- Election Day was broadcasted exactly six years before this episode.
- The race where Claire lets Phil win happened in "Run for Your Wife" (season 1, episode 6)
- The title refers to CHiPs, a cop drama from the 70s/80s.
- Phil compares himself to Secretariat.
- Mitch is compared to Angie Harmon on Law & Order or Susan Dey on L.A. Law.
- Nicole was in a rom-com with Andrew McCarthy.
- The A.V. Club gave it a "C".
- Kim Russell on TV Fanatic gave it 3.0/5 - "I don't know if it's because Modern Family has been on for so long that the storylines are all burning out and falling flat or if this is just an awkward season because of the ages of the kids, but I'm worried."