Phil's convinced he is going to have a day of bad luck after failing to successfully complete his daily superstition. However, Claire is eager to make it to a concert and has no time for his silly notion. Meanwhile, Mitch is certain that Cam is undermining him during their kitchen renovation, and Jay is determined to get Gloria to admit she was in a car accident.
Every morning, Phil has a routine which involves his slip. But one morning, he forgets it and believes he will have a bad day. Claire wants to go to a concert and refuses to believe him while Haley decides to give up her phone for a day in order to gain maturity.
In the second story, Mitch believes that Cam undermines him when the contractor Francisco calls Cam "Boss". Francisco reveals that he actually is Fernando and forgets Cam's name each time.
Finally, Jay realizes that he can't bribe Joe and there's no one to support him against Gloria who was implied in a car accident.
(The characters striked out do not appear in this episode)
- Jay Pritchett
- Gloria Pritchett
- Manny Delgado
- Joe Pritchett
- Claire Dunphy
- Phil Dunphy
- Haley Dunphy
- Mitchell Pritchett
- Cameron Tucker
- Lily Tucker-Pritchett
- It's mentioned that Haley was Ferberized. Cam and Mitchell's attempts to Ferberize Lily featured in the Season 1 episode "Up All Night".
- Claire mentions Ferberizing Haley as a baby.
- Phil and Claire have tickets for Steely Dan, noting that they are "not young men." This line had added poignancy after Walter Becker died on 3 September 2017, just a few weeks before the episode aired.
- Bridget Jones' Baby and Love Actually are mentioned.
- Jay turns around and says that there's just one more thing - a reference to Columbo.
- Pam refers to an ATM as a "Banksy."
- Haley reads To Kill A Mockingbird.
- This episode shares a title with Dexter's Laboratory episode.
|Phil to Claire: Oh, hey, I was putting away that 'harmless' laundry when I stepped on Luke's skateboard, rolled out the screenless window and landed in the hedge|
|Claire: It's self-fulfilling, Phil believes something bad is gonna happen, so he makes it happen.|
- The A.V. Club gave it a "B": "None of these storylines is particularly inventive, and as the episode rolls on they go increasingly off the rails. With that said, many of the smaller moments hot the mark, and it’s enough to make “Catch Of The Day” fitfully rewarding.", giving particular praise to Haley's storyline.