Fearful that the romance between him and Claire is fizzling, Phil calls upon his alter ego, Clive Bixby, get Valentine's day back on track. Meanwhile, much to Gloria's chagrin, Jay shows a bit of child favoritism when he and Gloria must deal with Joe's inappropriate Valentine gift-giving and Manny's dating indecisiveness. When Cam and Mitch try to empower Lily, Haley and Sal to stand up to the men in their lives, things don't turn out as planned and go overboard. Finally, Alex discovers she has a secret admirer who may be a little too involved with family.
Phil feels that his couple is ending. He hires a magician to impress Claire but the tables are turned when Claire reveals she learned magic.
Jay favorizes Joe, much to Manny and Gloria's chagrin. But his conscience wins and he finally shows some severe side to his son.
Mitchell and Cameron want to learn to Haley, Sal and Lilly how to defend themselves against men. It goes wrong as Sal rebels herself against them and Haley slaps Rainer on the face.
Finally, Alex discovers that Ben has a crush on her. Although weirded out at first, Alex gets turned on when he apologises mentioning his personal and parental issues and the two end up having sex in his office.
(The characters striked out do not appear in this episode)
- Jay Pritchett
- Gloria Pritchett
- Manny Delgado
- Joe Pritchett
- Claire Dunphy
- Phil Dunphy
- Haley Dunphy
- Alex Dunphy
- Mitchell Pritchett
- Cameron Tucker
- Lily Tucker-Pritchett
- Nathan Fillion as Rainer Shine
- Elizabeth Banks as Sal
- Joe Mande as Ben
- Marsha Kramer as Margaret
- Julia Meltzer as Mrs. Kewley
- William Utay as The Great Majesto
- Darcy Donovan as Rainer's Date
- Rickey Wilson as Valet
- Susan Beaubian as Waitress
- Elliot Potts as Sammy
- Sal tries to burn Werner's stuff with vodka, but ordinary vodka generally won't burn anything - it needs to be at least 50-60% by volume (100-120 proof) for a match to ignite it.
- Luke does not appear in this episode.
- This episode was broadcasted exactly five years after Me? Jealous?.
- "Do You Believe in Magic" is a song by The Lovin' Spoonful.
- Werner has a relic from the Bismarck
- Ben was addicted to SweeTarts
- Phil gets Houdini handcuffs
- On the back of the wooden swing Phil gave to Claire, to the right of "Phil heart Claire" there is "Free Tibet" written on the swing.
- At one point Joe is seen sitting on the couch watching TV with his hand tucked into his waistband, a reference to Ed O'Neill's previous role as Al Bundy in Married... with Children.
- Season 8 Episode 15 title [via spoilertv This may be an episode. spoilertv is the only source to mention this.]