Haley is determined to follow the advice in her parenting books with the twins, but Phil and Claire think their old methods are better. Meanwhile, Manny is set to direct Jay's dog bed commercial in the hopes of winning his ex-girlfriend back.
(The characters struck out do not appear in this episode)
- Jay Pritchett
- Gloria Pritchett
- Manny Delgado
- Joe Pritchett
- Claire Dunphy
- Phil Dunphy
- Haley Dunphy (Haley Marshall)
- Alex Dunphy
- Luke Dunphy
- Mitchell Pritchett
- Cameron Tucker
- Lily Tucker-Pritchett
- Dylan Marshall
- Hillary Anne Matthews as Sherry
- Justin Elling
- Charles Lott Jr
- Jeremy Becerra
- Kristen Li
- Alejandra Azur Lopez
- Reid Ewing is elevated as a main cast member beginning with this episode
- This episode will air exactly six years after Suddenly, Last Summer and First Days.
- This is the third episode to feature "kid" in the title after When Good Kids Go Bad and Kids These Days.
- Sherry's fifth appearance.
- This is the second episode when someone has an advice book after Schooled in which Phil made his own philosophy guide.
- The title of this episode is a reference to the phrase "New Kids on the Block", referring to new people in an area; it could also refer to the boyband.