During a quick workout session in the garage, Mitchell accidentally knocks over an urn filled with the ashes of Cam's beloved pet pig Lily. He quickly attempts to cover up his blunder and devises an appropriate cover-up. Hoping to catch Mitchell in his lie, Cam makes up a tall tale to trap him, but his own lie soon becomes a little too big to manage.
Mitchell decides to practice some exercices in the garage but ends up destroying Cam's pig's urn while spreading the ashes. He decides to elaborate a lie in order to hide the truth but it seems that the other members of the family also have their secrets. Cam replaces Lilly's painting with an imitation, Jay misses out on buying tickets for Gloria to see Gloria Estefan and Manny seems to be less close with Gloria. At the mall, Gloria and Manny buy clothes until Manny sees a little boy and his mother. Manny gives the boy some wise lessons. Meanwhile, Mitchell helps Haley to move her car in order not to pay the contraventions. As for Phil and Claire, they learn that Luke has been rejected at every college he applied to. Phil goes to meet a dean who also happened to be a childhood friend. The dean offers Phil a deal: if he performs a magic show in front of him (and reveals some of his secrets), Luke will receive a place. Swallowing his pride and his dignity as a magician, Phil agrees. However Luke realises his parents pulled strings to get in and refuses to attend as he wants to make it on his own. Luke then uses his contacts at the country club and his own unique smarts to solve everyone's problems.
(The characters striked out do not appear in this episode)
- Jay Pritchett
- Gloria Pritchett
- Manny Delgado
- Joe Pritchett
- Claire Dunphy
- Phil Dunphy
- Haley Dunphy
- Luke Dunphy
- Mitchell Pritchett
- Cameron Tucker
- Lily Tucker-Pritchett
- Rick Holmes as Dean Hinden
- Jaime Moyer as Mrs. Pasternak
- Elka Rodriguez as Guillermo's Mom
- Diego Olmedo as Guillermo
- Stephanie Y. Wang as Receptionist
- Kyle Erby as Father
- Darielle Stewart as Daughter
- Alex does not appear in this episode.
- Sarah Hyland broke her leg during the scene where Haley and Mitch move a car.
- The Vanderkolff couch, purchased in "Strangers in the Night", is mentioned
- The episode title references the song "Bad Moon Rising"
- Manny compares himself to Lady Mary in the last season of Downton Abbey
- Jay mentions Gary Puckett & The Union Gap
- Jay fails to name Gloria Estefan's "Turn the Beat Around"
- "The Barnacle" is real, introduced in 2016