Claire and Phil have dinner plans with this great couple they met on vacation; the only problem is they never pick up the bill, so Claire insists Phil be strong this time and make them pay. Gloria organizes a playdate with a couple that appears to have a lot in common with them - they also have a young son Joe's age, but the husband is in his eighties and Jay takes it very personally. Elsewhere, Haley, Alex and Luke are surprised when Uncle Mitchell comes over to cash in on the birthday coupon they gave him for a belated celebration, so they scramble and end up on an impromptu tour of celebrity homes
The Dunphy Kids take their breakfast peacefully when Mitchell arrives with a coupon. In interview scenes, they explain that they had forgotten his last birthday three weeks ago, so in a rush they made him a coupon entitling him to a day of fun with his nieces and nephew. Unfortunately, Haley forgot to tell the others he was coming to 'cash in' the coupon so they have to improvise starting with Luke singing a spur of the moment omlette song. They then put Mitch in a blindfold and drive around aimlessly while thinking of something they can do. Eventually, they buy a star map and take him to the house where Barbra Streisand lives. Mitchell is already impressed (having worked out the kids forgot during the second verse of the omelette song) but then is thrilled when Ray Liotta emerges (the map is badly out of date and Streisand hasn't lived in the house for years). Mitch is very happy to meet Liotta, although the kids have no idea who he is. Liotta decides to give Mitchell a present and takes him to where Streisand actually lives. Although she doesn't come outside, she does speak to Mitchell briefly through the intercom although hangs up when he starts to ask a question. Regardless, he feels he had a great day (although in his version of the story, Streisand sings Happy Birthday to him).
Meanwhile, Phil and Claire lunch with a rich couple of friends they met on vacation. Phil always has to pay the bill and Claire gets mas at him. They try to put back the bill and finally Phil reveals that he lost a bet against Tom, the husband in which their wives had to eat roast crickets hidden in their food. Disgusted, Lisa and Claire, leave not knowing that Phil and Tom secretely made an another bet in which Phil again loses.
Jay and Gloria meet Westley, Joe's classmate and his parents. The father has a lot of common grounds with Jay as he is much older than his wife and also has two kids from a previous marriage. But Gloria tells him that at least Jay isn't the oldest dad. Jay tries to introduce Marty to Netflix without knowing that Marty uses streaming. At the same time, Manny has a problem with his mustache.
Cameron has Canadian people who lives upstairs and notices Lilly has a crush on their son. He gives her advice, but learns that Lilly actually has a crush on the dad.
(The characters striked out do not appear in this episode)
- Jay Pritchett
- Gloria Pritchett
- Manny Delgado
- Joe Pritchett
- Claire Dunphy
- Phil Dunphy
- Haley Dunphy
- Alex Dunphy
- Luke Dunphy
- Mitchell Pritchett
- Cameron Tucker
- Lily Tucker-Pritchett
- Ray Liotta as himself
- Barbra Streisand as herself (voice)
- Keegan-Michael Key as Tom
- Orson Bean as Marty
- Christine Lakin as Lisa
- Mia Barron as Vicky
- Tom Larochelle as Rob
- Kate McDaniel as Carol
- Omar Leyva as Map Seller
- Hudson West as Monte
- Evan Egel as Waiter #1
- Brandon Espy as Waiter #2
- This episode broadcasted exactly six years after Up All Night.
- Manny only appears in three short scenes in this episode.
- This episode has no recurring characters.
- Mitchell previously celebrated his birthday in "Connection Lost".
- This is the second episode where Phil and Claire meet and try to befriend a couple after "Won't You Be Our Neighbor".
- This is the fourth episode where Jay and Gloria interact with a couple after "Our Children, Ourselves", "Treehouse" and "Three Dinners". The couple they meet is the third couple they try to befriend after Shorty and Darlene and the Hoffmans.
A playdate is a social occasion arranged for children to play together. We see this happen when Joe plays with a child who is the same age as him, who belongs to a couple that his parents, Jay and Gloria meet.
- Cam's Canadian neighbors think of Gordon Pinsent as an A-lister. Cam thanks them for Ryan Reynolds, another Canadian actor.
- Jay calls Manny Serpico.
- Jay mentions that he looked at Kim Novak pinups when he was a kid
- Marty states he misses watching Swing Time.