Claire is determined to make up for her less-than-joyful mood at Jay and Gloria's wedding by throwing their tenth-anniversary party. As part of the festivities, Phil is going to perform a magic trick featuring Gloria appearing out of thin air in her wedding dress; that is if Gloria can still get into it!
Phil plans a magic trick for Jay's and Gloria's 10th Wedding Anniversary, as he will put Gloria into a magic cabinet and bring her out wearing her wedding dress. Going to his favourite magic shop, Phil learns he was offered a job as a magician on a cruise ship tour fifteen years ago but the company couldn't get in touch with him. Phil begins to think about what would have happened if he'd been available to take the call, and gets angry when Jay tells him he took the message and deliberately didn't pass the job offer on. Claire confesses that she actually is the real culprit and told Jay not to tell Phil, as Phil's job was just starting to take off while they had three young children to look after. Phil is very mad at Claire, feeling that he could have had a happier and more fulfilling work life. Claire feels guilty and buys the magic shop so Phil can live his professional dream. Cam, upon learning Phil is performing at the party, becomes obsessed with playing a drum solo. Mitchell initially refuses but then seems to agree and offers to sing. This is just a ploy however, and Mitchell cues in the piano player instead. Gloria is very upset in the build-up to the party, snapping at everyone. Jay believes it's his fault, as he was worried Manny was visiting home from college too much and banished him from the house until Thanksgiving and now Manny won't attend the party. He goes to Manny's college and interrupts his make-out session with a girl to beg him to come. However Gloria is actually upset about the fact she can't fit into her wedding dress anymore. Manny does turn up, but Gloria's bad mood does not lift and he storms off. Jay finally finds out the real reason for her bad mood and assures her she's still as sexy to him as ever. The episode finishes with every parent singing a jazz melody.
(The characters striked out do not appear in this episode)
- Jay Pritchett
- Gloria Pritchett
- Manny Delgado
- Joe Pritchett
- Claire Dunphy
- Phil Dunphy
- Alex Dunphy
- Luke Dunphy
- Mitchell Pritchett
- Cameron Tucker
- Lily Tucker-Pritchett
- Shelley Long as DeDe Pritchett
- Fred Stoller as Mister Ekshun
- Gareth Imparato as Student
- Justin Abarca as Party Guest #1
- Gloria Laino as Party Guest #2
- Wes Martinez as Party Guest #3
- Elsa Morales as Party Guest #4
- Joe Sachem as Party Guest #5
- Haley does not appear in this episode, Alex and Luke only appear in two scenes and only speak in one.
- Luke no longer has curly hair. His hair will be straight from this episode onwards.
- In the Pilot episode which was both aired and set in 2009, Gloria and Jay had only been married for 6 months. This means their wedding would've most likely been in late 2008 which makes sense as some of the family did not know Gloria and Manny that well in the first episode. As this episode aired in 2017, they should really have been married for 9 years. Cam also states that they got married in 2007, which is inaccurate.
- The AV Club gave it a "C-", saying "I get real tired of Modern Family choosing to go cynical and selfish rather than looking for something more compatible with the tone and atmosphere of the episode."