On Valentine's Day, Phil and Claire decide to have a low-key date, but she surprises him as Juliana and realizes Phil may be more into her alter ego Juliana than her. Jay goes from feeling disappointed to scared when Gloria's visiting sister Sonia becomes a larger deterrence for a romantic evening with Gloria than he thought. Elsewhere, Mitchell and Cameron get themselves in a very precarious situation with their good friend Anders.
It is Valentine's Day and Phil (Ty Burrell) wants to reprise the roles of Juliana and Clive Bixby with Claire (Julie Bowen) as they always do the last few years. Even though Claire seems like she is in no mood for roleplaying this time, she surprises him as Juliana at the bar Phil was supposed to meet Claire. The two of them, Phil and Juliana, then have a great time together. Claire realizes that Phil is more in love with Juliana than with her so on their way home, she decides to take Juliana down and get her husband back by inventing an unappealing side to her alter ego.
Gloria's (Sofía Vergara) sister Sonia (Stephanie Beatriz) is in town and Gloria does everything to make her feel welcome and to fix their relationship. She even arranges for all three of them—herself, Sonia and Jay (Ed O'Neill)—to have dinner together even though it is Valentine's Day. When Jay sees Sonia being sad at the prospect of being without a romantic partner for the rest of her life, he gives her the present he bought for Stella, telling her that he bought it for her. Sonia misunderstands his intentions and, thinking that Jay wants to be with her, starts hitting on him. Jay tries to tell Gloria but Gloria thinks he is crazy. After a small accident where Gloria sprains her ankle, Jay and Sonia are left to have dinner alone. Manny (Rico Rodriguez) also observes that Sonia is acting weird, and he thinks that she wants to kill him and Gloria so that she can have Jay. Gloria is furious at the accusations towards her sister, who provides proof that her intentions are good, but when Sonia seduces Jay in the bedroom, the two of them start fighting all over again literally over Jay.
Mitchell (Jesse Tyler Ferguson) and Cameron (Eric Stonestreet) bought a wedding present for their friends Anders (Roger Bart) and Cooper and they visit them to give it to them. The problem is that they like the present very much and they want to keep it. When they arrive at their friends' house, they find out that Cooper has left Anders and filed for divorce, so they decide to take their gift back. Their back-and-forth attempts to get it back lead to them finally leaving with their present for Anders and Cooper, as well as the beautiful present their friends bought them for their own wedding.
(The characters striked out do not appear in this episode)
- Jay Pritchett
- Gloria Pritchett
- Manny Delgado
- Claire Dunphy
- Phil Dunphy
Haley Dunphy Alex Dunphy Luke Dunphy
- Mitchell Pritchett
- Cameron Tucker
- Roger Bart as Anders
- Stephanie Beatriz as Sonia
- Eve Brenner as Anders' Mother
- Jackie Mah as Carmelina
- Fourth Valentine's Day episode ("My Funky Valentine", "Bixby's Back", "Heart Broken").
- Sixth Clive Bixby episode ("My Funky Valentine", "Bixby's Back", "The One That Got Away", "Door to Door", "Heart Broken").
- Sonia's second appearance ("Fulgencio").
- Haley, Alex, Luke, and Lily are all absent, making Manny the only of the kids who appears in the episode, although Alex and Luke are mentioned by Claire.
- We learn that DeDe has two sisters: CeCe and BeBe.
- Stephanie Beatriz & Roger Bart have both been in Jessie.
- The episode title is a reference to the heavy metal band Twisted Sister.
- The couple "Anders 'n' Cooper" are named after news anchor Anderson Cooper, who is also gay.
- The Rockettes are mentioned.
- Phil and "Juliana" discuss Dirty Dancing, and Juliana claims that Baby and Johnny won't be having the time of their life a few weeks after the movie ends.