Jay (Ed O'Neill) makes a new invention for socks and plans to sell it but everything seems to fall apart for him when Manny's (Rico Rodriguez) new girlfriend, Sophie (Cheyn Cole), comes home and sees it. As it is revealed, Sophie is the granddaughter of Jay's longtime enemy and owner of the "Closets, Closets, Closets, Closets" company, Earl (Jon Polito). Jay is convinced that she will tell her grandfather about his invention and Earl will steal his idea. Jay demands from Manny to stop seeing Sophie but Gloria (Sofía Vergara) is determined to make the two men make up and she arranges a dinner for them to talk and solve their differences.
Meanwhile, the neighbor of the Dunphys family, Jerry (Matt Besser), moves out after his divorce and asks Phil (Ty Burrell) to sell his house. Claire (Julie Bowen) is happy with the idea that they can choose their new neighbors and they do everything to impress a new couple, George (Ben Lawson) and Lisa (Fiona Gubelmann). The couple is ready to buy it when another couple, Ronnie (Steve Zahn) and Amber (Andrea Anders), comes and makes a better offer. Claire does not like them at all and asks Phil to not tell Jerry about the better offer and even though Phil agrees to do it, he can not lie to Jerry and tells him the truth. Ronnie and Amber buy the house and they move in, while the Dunphy family watches.
Cameron (Eric Stonestreet) and Mitchell (Jesse Tyler Ferguson) find out that there is an opening in Ms. Sparrow's class and they want for Lily (Aubrey Anderson-Emmons) to take it, since they believe that Lily is stressed out by her teacher, Mrs Plank (Tyne Daly). Ms. Sparrow's class is more fun and kids are happy there. Without asking Lily, they meet Mrs Plank and they manage to move Lily to Mrs Sparrow's class but they soon find out that Lily does not want to change teacher because she loves Mrs Plank and she actually learns new and important things there. Cameron and Mitchell are forced to go back to Mrs Plank and beg her to take Lily back.
- Tyne Daly as Mrs. Plank
- Steve Zahn as Ronnie LaFontaine
- Andrea Anders as Amber LaFontaine
- Ben Lawson as George
- Fiona Gubelmann as Lisa
- Matt Besser as Jerry
- Jon Polito as Earl Chambers
- Brooke Sorenson as Tammy LaFontaine
- Finneas O'Connell as Ronnie LaFontaine, Jr.
- Cheyn Cole as Sophie
- Raegan Revord as Megan
- Jerry reappears from his very last appearance, "Halloween".
- Claire mentions that she scared an adult, which was previously mentioned in "Open House of Horrors".
- Phil remembers Claire's friend Juliette when reminded that she is black. His attraction to black women appeared previously in a line in "Hit and Run": "I'll admit it. I'm turned on by powerful women. Michelle Obama, Oprah, Condoleezza Rice, Serena Williams... wait a minute...".
- Fineas O' Connell's second appearance after Best Men, where he portrayed a musician who had a crush on Alex.
- This episode begins on a sunday, according to Phil.
- This is Earl Chambers's first appearance, but in Australia his name was Earl Norton.
- Earl believes that Jay ignores Mitchell's sexuality and says that he is at least 40. In real life, Jesse Tyler Ferguson turned 39 the day this episode was aired and both he and Jon Polito (who plays Earl) are gay.
- Gloria mentions "burying the machete", apparently a Colombian version of "burying the hatchet".
- Claire calls Jerry "Reefer Madness", a reference to the infamous anti-majuan film.
- Jay and Earl sold closets to Larry Hagman, while Earl later got a guest role on Dallas.
- Mrs Plank calls Mitch and Cam "Mary Ann and Ginger", a reference to Gilligan's Island.